‘Dune’ is an upcoming epic science fiction film. It is directed by Denis Villeneuve with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Villeneuve, and Eric Roth.
The film is the first of a planned two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, which will cover roughly the first half of the book, a serial first published in Analog magazine.
The film is an international co-production of Canada, Hungary, the United Kingdom and the United States.
But, what can we expect from this film? Here’s everything we know about it so far.
‘Dune’ Movie Cast Explained
- Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
- Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, Paul’s Bene Gesserit mother and concubine to Duke Leto
- Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides, Paul’s father and a nobleman
- Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, the weapons master of House Atreides
- Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, the sworn enemy to Leto and former steward of Arrakis
- Dave Bautista as Glossu Rabban, the brutish nephew of Baron Harkonnen
- Stephen McKinley Henderson as Thufir Hawat
- Zendaya as Chani, a mysterious young Fremen woman and Paul’s love interest
- David Dastmalchian as Piter De Vries
- Chang Chen as Dr. Wellington Yueh, a Suk doctor in the employ of the Atreides family
- Sharon Duncan-Brewster as Dr. Liet-Kynes, Chani’s mother and the leading ecologist and peacekeeper on Arrakis
- Charlotte Rampling as Gaius Helen Mohiam, a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother and the Emperor’s Truthsayer
- Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, the swordmaster of House Atreides and one of Paul’s mentors
- Javier Bardem as Stilgar, the leader of the Fremen tribe at Sietch Tabr
‘Dune’ Movie Premise
Dune tells the story of Duke Leto Atreides, who accepts stewardship of the dangerous desert planet Arrakis, also known as Dune.
It is the only source of the most valuable substance in the universe, “the spice”, a drug which extends human life, provides superhuman levels of thought, and makes faster-than-light travel possible.
Though Leto knows the opportunity is an intricate trap set by his enemies, he takes his Bene Gesserit concubine Lady Jessica, young son and heir Paul, and most trusted advisers to Arrakis, Leto takes control of the spice mining operation, which is made perilous by the presence of giant sandworms.
A bitter betrayal leads Paul and Jessica to the Fremen, natives of Arrakis who live in the deep desert.
Trailer of ‘Dune’ Movie
Warner Bros. Pictures has released an official trailer for the upcoming film on September 9, 2020.
The epic three-minute trailer introduces you to Frank Herbert’s richly detailed sci-fi universe and the characters there in, including Paul Atreides, Chani, Duke Leto and Duncan Idaho.
So, how was the trailer? Did you like it? Do share your thoughts about it in the comment section given at the end of this post.
Release Date: It Reportedly Arrives October 2021.
Like most blockbuster films of 2020, Dune is reported to have been pushed back to 2021.
It will arrive in theaters on October 1, 2021, in the United States by Warner Bros. Pictures instead of its original release date, December 18, 2020. As well as a month long it will be simultaneously released on the HBO Max.
Director Denis Villeneuve is anticipating that audiences will enjoy the release together. “I look forward to a time when we can all get together again as Dune was made to be seen on the big screen,” he told Vanity Fair.
3 Reasons Why ‘Dune’ (2021) Is Nothing Like The Other Dunes
Mainstream culture is finally ready for ‘Dune’ (2021)
The idea that Dune is a mainstream movie at all is something geeks would not have believed twenty years ago. What changed? Well, Lord of the Rings helped. So did the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
In the late ’90s or early ’00s, it seems reasonable that your average moviegoer couldn’t follow the complicated political machinations of the Dune universe over the course of several films.
But now, moviegoers are accustomed to the complicated continuity of the Marvel movies, to say nothing of Game of Thrones.
Dune (2021) seems faithful to the books — to a point
Only one of the three existing Dune movies is super-faithful to the source material.
David Lynch‘s approach was much more reverent to the source material.
But studio interference resulted in a heavy-handed approach to the material and an ending (Paul making it rain by magic) that doesn’t really have anything to do with the books.
The only thing close is the 2000 Sci-Fi Channel miniseries. But that was 6-hours-long and made a few fairly large changes to the fundamental story. It’s the closest thing to “faithful”.
But that doesn’t mean it holds up 20 years later. Six hours for just the first book might also be too much.
Warner Bros. seems to be backing dune (2021)
Villeneuve has given a few interviews recently where he referred to doing a few reshoots for Dune. At no point do these sound like studio-mandated reshoots.
This all sounds like stuff he wanted to do himself for the sake of making the best movie possible.
Finally, Dune is scheduled to be released theatrically in the United States in IMAX and 3D on October 1, 2021, by Warner Bros. Pictures.
Are you excited to watch this movie? Let us know in the comments section given at the end of this post.